The following instructions guide you troubleshooting issues regarding the bed not lowering or rising, particularly if there is a grinding sound associated with the bed movement. Please check your threaded Z rod housing number and ensure that it says #2 or #4, as shown in the photo below. If the Z rod housing says 1, then please see Heat Bed Movement Type 1 first for troubleshooting.
You will need the hex wrench set that came with your printer. You will also need a table so that you can access the two screws underneath the far right printer corner easily.
1) Locate the right smooth Z rod, as shown in the photo below
2) Loosen the two screws for the smooth Z rod foot in the top right corner of the printer.
3) Carefully move the printer so that the bottom right corner of the printer is slightly off the edge of the table. This should allow you to access the two screws on the right smooth z rod bottom foot. Keep one hand on the printer to make sure that it is secure. Loosen the two screws which secure the right smooth z rod bottom foot in place.
4) Lower the heat bed to the bottom of your build area. You can do this with Repetier-Host or using a Viki if applicable.
- Go to the manual control tab and press on the up arrow in the center control icon
- Viki Screen
- Select Prepare, then navigate to Move axis --> 1mm --> Z --> and then increasing the number shown. Increase the current Z value to bring the bed down.
5) Once the bed is all the way down,tighten the two screws for the right smooth z rod foot in the bottom right corner of the printer. The right printer corner should be off the table so that you can reinsert the screws from underneath.
4) Bring the bed up to the home position.
- Go to the manual control tab and press the home button.
- Viki Screen
- Go to the home screen, press the center button, select Prepare, and Auto Home. This will bring the bed all the way up.
6) Tighten the screws for the right smooth z rod foot in the top right corner of the printer.
9. The Z rod should now be calibrated and should not get stuck or make a grinding noise.
Please open a Tech Ticket if you have any questions.