This is a simple 7 step process to creating a polished look to your ABS parts using acetone.
- 1 Gallon Metal Can
- Metal Lid
- Paper Towels
- 16 Magnets
- 4 Ounces Acetone
- 3 Metal Washers
Metal can size depends on size of ABS part, for example a 6 gallon pail is applicable for 11” tall ABS part. A standard gallon size paint can will work for most 3D printed ABS parts (7” in height and smaller). It is best to use the smallest metal container possible. A 1 Gallon paint can will be used for this demonstration.
1) Cut 3 paper towels into smaller pieces (or in half)
2) Line inside of can with paper towels
3) Use magnets to secure paper towels
4) Pour 4 ounces of Acetone into the can
5) *Caution: Perform this in a well ventilated area!* Cover with lid and shake. Paper towels should be completely saturated .
6) Use lid and washers to elevate the ABS part
7) Cover part with can and take care not to touch part
8) Wait for 40 minutes without removing cover
Note: Layer lines will still be visible but the lines will continue to dissolve as part dries.
9) Let part cure overnight which will result in a glossy ceramic-like finish.
Please open a Tech Ticket if you have any questions or need assistance with this process.